Appointments & Referrals
Access to care
If you need to get care at Naval Health Clinic Hawaii, the priorities for getting appointments are identified in Department of Defense policy and are listed below:
- Active duty service members
- Active duty family members enrolled in TRICARE Prime or TRICARE Young Adult – Prime Option
All others can get care if space is available after Naval Health Clinic Hawaii has met the health care needs of the three categories listed above within DOD access standards. This includes:
- Active duty family members enrolled in TRICARE Select or TRICARE Young Adult – Select Option
- Retired service members and their eligible family members
- DOD civilians and contractors
All patients, including those listed for space-available care, can fill prescriptions at any of our pharmacies
How do I find a civilian provider in Hawaii?
The overseas contractor, International SOS, has established a network of qualified providers in all overseas areas for TRICARE beneficiaries. To find an overseas provider, search the Overseas Provider Directory
. If you're not a TRICARE beneficiary, please contact your medical insurance provider for assistance.
Are you a DOD Civilian or Contractor?
If you’re a DOD civilian employee or contractor stationed in Hawaii, you should contact your medical insurance provider for help in finding health care options.
Appointments can be made via phone or online.
- To make an appointment at Branch Health Clinic Makalapa, Branch Health Clinic Kaneohe Bay, or Branch Medical Clinic Wahiawa (Active Duty Only) call 1-888-683-2778.
- To make an appointment at Branch Health Clinic Camp Smith or Shipyard Clinic, call the clinic directly:
- BHC Camp Smith: 808-477-2600 ext. 2
- Shipyard Clinic: 808-474-0625 ext. 1359/1352
- MHS GENESIS Patient Portal: Through the patient portal, you can make appointments, request prescription renewals, send secure messages to your provider, and view health records.
- Active Duty Service Members must obtain a referral from their PCM for all services except emergency care. Failure to obtain proper referral will result in denied claims and financial obligation
- All other TRICARE Prime, non-active duty member, do not require a referral for Urgent Care or outpatient behavioral health services.
- Specialty Referrals
- Once a specialty referral is written, it will go through the Military Medical Facility process or Right of First Refusal (ROFR).You should receive a call from the Military Medical Facility within 3 business days. If you do not, please make sure you follow up by calling 1-888-MTF-APPT (683-2778).
- If the referral is redirected to the network, you should receive an authorization from Health Net Federal Services through their secure portal within 10 business days. To check the status of your authorization, please go to www.tricare-west.com and create a profile to download the authorization letter.
- Please ensure your address and phone numbers are correct in DEERS. Update your information here.
- Hawaii Referral Center: (808) 433-2262
More information about referrals and authorizations visit https://www.tricare.mil/FindDoctor/Appointments/Referrals